Match date: 30th August 2022 Kickoff: 7.30 pm

Coldstream FC     2    Dunbar United      2

After the excitement of their Scottish Cup win on Saturday it was a quick return to League business on Tuesday night when Dunbar United travelled to Home Park, Coldstream to try and maintain their good start to the Season.  Coldstream had suffered a heavy defeat at Auchinleck Talbot in the cup at the weekend and were desperate to kick start their League position.

A perfect night for football, although the bumpy surface made things tricky for both sides, but it was the hosts that looked the livelier side right from the start and it was no surprise when they took an early lead after seven minutes when the dangerous Buster Briggs controlled a quick ball inside the box and curled the ball into the bottom corner of the net past Sean Brennan in the Dunbar goal.

Dunbar went close with a Jonny Grotlin cross but the Coldstream keeper saved well before Briggs forced a great save from Brennan after outpacing a Dunbar defender on the left.  Dunbar then went close on four occasions but could not get the final touch before Cammy Dawson had a header cleared off the line.

A bit of controversy on the half hour mark when Coldstream’s Buster Briggs chased down a long ball and then collided with the Dunbar keeper just outside the box. Briggs fell awkwardly and had to be stretchered off with a suspected broken arm and Sean Brennan picked up a yellow card. After a seven minute delay the resultant free kick went past the post.

Dunbar dominated the rest of the half and a great run and cross from Darren Handling only needed a touch before Shaun Miller got the ball stuck under his feet when a well paced Kerr Allan fired over the bar after a James Redpath free kick had been parried by the Coldstream keeper.

Dunbar continued their onslaught towards the Coldstream goal after the restart and with no break through after the opening ten minutes Jonny Grotlin and Shaun Miller were replaced by Ben Bathgate and Darren Smith as the Dunbar management played a change in shape. Bob Berry had a shot blocked before Ben Bathgate went close on two occasions before Dean Whitson had another shot saved by the home keeper.

Just on the hour mark Ben Bathgate had a header cleared off the line before Cammy Dawson headed wide and then had a shot saved as Coldstream survived the Dunbar pressure.

Finally in the 65th minute a great through ball from Darren Handling found Cammy Dawson wide right and the big striker fired low into the bottom corner from the narrowest of angles to score his first competitive goal in Dunbar colours and give Dunbar a well deserved equaliser.

Bob Berry almost scored after a rare Coldstream mistake, but again his shot was blocked at the last minute as Dunbar looked to kill the game off but despite constant Dunbar pressure it was Coldstream who regained the lead after 80 minutes when, after a quick counter attack, Gary Windram held off a Dunbar defender then squared the ball for their substitute Michael Friere to smash the ball high into the net completely against the run of play.

Dunbar picked themselves up and pushed on again with Bob Berry, Ben Bathgate and Dean Whitson having shots blocked by some resolute Coldstream defending,  and with tackles beginning to get desperate the referee dished out some bookings to some Coldstream defenders.

In the 90th minute, from a resultant free kick on the left Darren Smith’s cross was met perfectly by the head of Cammy Dawson and his header flew past the Coldstream keeper for his own second of the night to give Dunbar a well deserved share of the points. Dawson almost scored again deep into injury time with a back header following a long throw-in but the ball missed the target by inches with the home defence well beaten.

A disappointing night for the visitors who really should have claimed all three points with only some clinical finishing in front of goal missing,  but credit to them for coming from behind twice and maintaining their unbeaten League record. Coldstream never really recovered after the loss of their striker but credit to them for putting bodies on the line and defending well to frustrate the Dunbar side for long periods in the game.

Dunbar travel to Fife on Saturday with a visit to Treaton Park, Kennoway for a League match against Kennoway Star Hearts with kick off at 2.30 pm, and Dunbar will not need to be reminded that Kennoway won a League Cup tie at Dunbar in March this year.

Coldstream FC :- Matt Hall, Jack Brannan, Ejay Gay, Jamie Whitehead, Kieran Bullen, Ben Wright, Kieran Ingram, Buster Briggs, Gary Windram, Ross Aitchison, Thomas Grey.

Substitutes :- Shane Bonnington, Thomas Hume, Craig Heugh, Michael Friere, Kit McRitchie.

Dunbar United :- Sean Brennan, James Redpath, Kerr Allan, Jonny Grotlin, Bob Berry, Cammy Dawson, Darren Handling, Fraser Neave, Willis Hare, Shaun Miller, Dean Whitson. 

Substitutes :- Shea Dowie, Michael McFarlane, Grant Thomson, Ben Bathgate, Aaron Congalton, Darren Smith.

Referee :– Fraser Bushell.

Asst Referees :- Iain Gallacher, Steven King.

Match report courtesy of Laurie Wood.