Match date: 5th of July 2023 Kickoff: 19.30 pm

Coldstream     1      Dunbar United       2

Dunbar United played their second Pre-Season Friendly match on successive nights when they travelled to Home Park, Coldstream with a much changed side which included one Trialist, while Dunbar featured young Daniel Hall from the Dunbar United FC Under 20’s side.

Coldstream who were unfortunate to be relegated to Division Two last season took four points from Dunbar in their two League games and a difficult game was anticipated with ex Dunbar United favourite Kieran Ingram on from the start. The home side started well and almost took the lead in the second minute when player-manager Kieran Ainslie headed a corner against the Dunbar crossbar.

Dunbar went close when Daniel Hall found Darren Handling with a defence splitting pass but the Coldstream defence did well to block his goal bound shot before new signing Gordon Harris did likewise when Coldstream’s Friere broke free.

Owen Renton might have done better for the hosts when he was left with only Shea Dowie in the Dunbar goal to beat,  but his shot missed the target before Liam Gregory sent Johnny Edmond clear with his shot striking the Coldstream crossbar.

Dunbar opened the scoring in the 13th minute when Daniel Hall controlled a return pass on the edge of the box and fired a low shot into the bottom corner of the net giving Matt Hall in the Coldstream goal no chance at all.

The goal appeared to settle the Dunbar side and they began to dictate with Cammy Dawson having a shot deflected for a corner and Daniel Hall combining well with Johnny Edmond leaving the youngster a great chance to add to his tally but the Coldstream keeper saved his shot with his legs to keep the scoreline intact.

Three minutes from the interval Coldstream equalised when Dunbar’s captain Grant Thomson, under pressure from Coldstream’s Briggs, scored an own goal with an intended pass back to the Dunbar keeper sailing over his head into the top corner.

There were numerous changes to both sides after the break to ensure all the players got more game time and it was Dunbar who took control from the restart. Cammy Dawson had a shot well saved by the Coldstream keeper and Liam Gregory had a great chance cleared of the line. 

Dunbar regained the lead in the 52nd minute when Liam Gregory cut the ball back for Johnny Edmond to score from close range to make the score 2-1 for Dunbar.

Coldstream rarely threatened the Dunbar side after that goal, and in the 70th minute Johnny Edmond headed a corner kick against the post. Dunbar were playing some neat passing football and created numerous chances but some determined Coldstream defending prevented them from adding to the scoreline.

Five minutes from time Edmond set up Liam Gregory but again his shot was cleared of the line and the game ended with Dunbar deservedly clinching a narrow victory.

Another good run out on a miserable wet night against a team who are never easy to beat at home and some valuable game time added to the legs of the players.

A special mention to Daniel Hall who looked the part in midfield and did not look phased at all by his step up from Dunbar United Under 20’s and once again emphasises just how important the formation of that side will be to Dunbar United in future years.

Dunbar’s next game is against Tranent on Tuesday night at Foresters Park Tranent with kick-off at 7.30 pm.

Coldstream :- Hall , Gay, Ainslie, Ingram, Allan, Wright, Bullen, Briggs, Paterson, O. Renton, Friere.

Substitutes :- Turnbull, S. Renton, Hume, Storm, Trialist.

Dunbar United :- Shea Dowie, Aaron Congalton, Grant Thomson, Gordon Harris, Trialist, Daniel Hall, Fraser Neave, Cammy Dawson, Darren Handling, Liam Gregory, Johnny Edmond.

Substitutes :- Sean Brennan, Dean Whitson, Kyle Somers, Michael McFarlane, Bob Berry, Michael Barfoot.

Referee :- Will Pare

Match report courtesy of Laurie Wood.

Well done Seasiders