Match date: 10th July 2021 Kickoff: 14:00

Dunbar United travelled to Home Park, Coldstream on Saturday in another pre-season Friendly match looking to avenge a narrow League defeat on their last visit in February 2019. The team was once again led by coach Eck Christie before the new Manager Kevin Haynes takes over the reigns on Tuesday night.

With both goalkeepers and some key players unavailable, the Dunbar starting eleven had several changes from the game against Hibernian.

Dunbar started the game well and Michael McFarlane headed a free kick narrowly over the bar before Coldstream’s Jonny Simpson struck the bar in the 10th minute following good work between Briggs and Windram.

Six minutes later and it was Dunbar who opened the scoring after a long throw in from Grant Thomson was flicked on by Johnnny Edmond into the path of Jamie Devlin who made no mistake from close range.

Dunbar were playing some good football with Devlin and Bathgate creating chances and they should have increased their lead after three corners in succession on the half hour mark when a header from Michael Fairnie went inches wide. The impressive Fraser Neave picked up an injury and was replaced in the Dunbar midfield by Nicky Weir shortly afterwards.

Buster Briggs and Jonny Simpson had chances for Coldstream but Mack in the Dunbar goal kept the scoreline intact before Jamie Devlin did well to create a chance after beating three defenders but Elliot Turnbull in the home goal saved brilliantly right on the stroke of half time to deny him a second goal.

Andy Jones replaced Ben Bathgate on the restart for Dunbar and a mix up in the Coldstream teamsheet saw their captain Kieran Ainslie have to take over the goalkeeping duties after Turnbull picked up an injury and they reshuffled their back line. Buster Briggs might have done better with an early header for the hosts before Grant Thomson and Jamie Devlin headed wide from great positions.

Coldstream equalised in the 50th minute when their central defender Ross Straughan headed in unchallenged from a corner kick and Dunbar’s woes continued when their impressive young Trialist was injured and replaced by Keith Tait with Michael Fairnie also making way for Scott Hay in central defence.

Coldstream then created the better chances and should have taken the lead in the 75th minute when Windram found Buster Briggs at the back post with an inch perfect cross but he volleyed into the ground and over the bar when it looked easier to score. Dunbar regrouped and won a flurry of corners with Scott Hay firing in from close range only to see stand in keeper Kieran Ainslie somehow tip his goal bound shot round for a corner with a brilliant save.

Johnny Edmond went close from yet another corner before the Dunbar pressure eventually paid off in the final minute when Bob Berry’s deep corner was headed in at the back post by Scott Hay for his first goal for the visitors since signing from Edinburgh United and send Dunbar home with a 2-1 victory.

Dunbar dominated in the first half but things went flat after the break with some enforced changes and probably a draw would have been a fair result but credit to Dunbar who pushed on and won it right at the death. Another glamour Friendly on Tuesday night when a Hearts XI visit New Countess Park with a 7.30 pm kick off before the League starts in earnest next Saturday when Dunbar travel to Sauchie.

Coldstream :- Elliot Turnbull, Max Fox, Ross Straughan, Craig Heugh, Buster Briggs, Gary Windram, Tommy Malcolm, Ben Wright, Jonny Simpson, Kris Dixon, Kieran Ainslie.

Substitutes :- Iain Gay, Shane Bonnington, Jamie Whitehead, Chrissy Briggs, Tom Hume.

Dunbar United :- Trialist, Grant Thomson, Michael McFarlane, Michael Fairnie, Trialist, Bob Berry, Darren Handling, Fraser Neave, Ben Bathgate, Johnny Edmond, Jamie Devlin.

Substitutes : – Keith Tait, Andy Jones, Scott Hay, Nicky Weir.

Referee :- Evan Cairns

Match report courtesy of Laurie Wood
Photos by Gordon Maitland