Match date: 5th July 2022 Kickoff: 7.30 pm

Dunbar United   1       Berwick Rangers    1

(Dunbar United win 4-1 on penalties)

Dunbar United met Lowland League Berwick Rangers in the Paul Hampshire Memorial Trophy match at New Countess Park on Tuesday night. A healthy crowd paid tribute to the ex Dunbar and Berwick player before the start with a one minutes applause,  and the new stand was almost filled to capacity on a lovely night for the game.

Dunbar’s Ben Bathgate raced clear in the third minute but was brought down on the edge of the box by the experienced ex Aberdeen defender Steven Anderson before the free kick came to nothing. Lewis Baker tested Sean Brennan in the Dunbar goal with two shots as both sides probed for an opening.

Midway through the half both sides were forced into changes after Dunbar’s Liam Gregory pulled a hamstring and Berwick’s Lewis Baker picked up a knock.

Dunbar made the breakthrough in the 29th minute after James Redpath did well to win a corner,  and Darren Smith’s delivery was headed powerfully into the net by Michael McFarlane.  Berwick pushed hard for the equaliser with a Lewis Barr shot tipped over for a corner and Ciaran Heeps firing high over the bar before the half time whistle sounded with Dunbar leading 1-0.

Changes to both sides after the restart, and within three minutes Liam Buchanan almost equalised but was denied by a great tackle from Dunbar’s Evan Fleming. Four minutes later Fleming had to be helped off with a foot injury after a tackle in midfield. Willis Hare went close for Dunbar before Berwick’s James Farrell headed wide from a corner as the visitors upped the pace.

Play swung from end to end in a really competitive game, and two minutes from time Dunbar’s Jamie Devlin timed a cross from their Trialist to perfection but his header rebounded off the bar with the Berwick keeper beaten.

Right on the 90th minute Berwick took a quick free kick mid way in the Dunbar half and a dipping shot from 30 yards was parried out by Dunbar keeper Sean Brennan,  but Berwick’s Liam Buchanan was first to react and blasted the ball high into the net to level the scores.

Dunbar threatened for the four minutes of added time, but the game ended all square and went to penalties to decide who won the Trophy.

Dunbar scored all four penalties through Darren Smith, Jamie Devlin, Bob Berry and Dean Whitson with Berwick scoring once through Alex Harris and Dunbar’s keeper saving twice and denying Berwick’s Jamie Pyper and Kyle Baker to ensure a Dunbar victory 4-1 on penalties.  The Trophy was presented to Dunbar captain Grant Thomson at the end of the game by Mrs Lisa Hampshire.

A good workout for both sides with not a lot between them, with Dunbar showing lots of commitment and playing some neat football against their Lowland League opponents.

Another tough Friendly on Saturday when Dunbar host another Lowland league side, East Stirlingshire with a 2.30 pm kick off. Tickets for the match are on sale via the club’s Fanbase app:

Dunbar United :- Sean Brennan,  Ben Bathgate, Cammy Dawson, Darren Handling, Darren Smith, Dean Whitson, Grant Thomson, James Redpath, Liam Gregory, Michael McFarlane, Trialist.

Substitutes :- Shea Dowie, Bob Berry, Evan Fleming, Jamie Devlin, Kerr Allan, Willis Hare, Trialist, Trialist.

Berwick Rangers :- Thomas Kay, James Farrell, Grant Nelson, Steven Anderson, Jamie Pyper, Kyle Baker, Graham Taylor, Lewis Barr, Lewis Baker, Sean Stewart, Ciaran Heeps 

Substitutes :- Liam Buchanan, David Ferguson, Alex Harris, Lewis Allan, Trialist, Trialist, Trialist.

Referee :- Alastair Grieve.

Match report courtesy of Laurie Wood.

Photos by Gordon Maitland.

Well done Seasiders!