Match date: 12th January 2022 Kickoff: 7.30 pm

Dunbar United hosted Berwick Rangers from The Lowland League for an arranged Friendly match on Tuesday night after both teams had their games postponed last weekend.

In front of a larger than usual midweek crowd,  Dunbar created the first chance in the ninth minute after Jamie Devlin turned his marker inside the box, but his shot struck the Berwick keeper’s legs and rolled along the top of the bar before the danger was cleared.

Berwick went close two minutes later when Sean Stewart collected a long through ball,  but Daniel Laing in the Dunbar goal saved well. Jamie Devlin had another chance after being played in by Kieran Ingram but the striker scuffed his shot with only the keeper to beat.

Dunbar kept up the pressure and Darren Handling’s header from a corner brought out a full stretch save from Ali Adams in the Berwick goal.

The deadlock was broken in the 33rd minute when Darren Handling collected the ball wide left, dipped his shoulder and curled a beauty into the top corner of the net from fully twenty yards to celebrate his recent new contract and cement his place in the clubs top twenty five goal scorers and appearances lists.

Sean Stewart again went close for the visitors but Laing again thwarted the Berwick striker with another fine save. Five minutes before the break Berwick equalised when Calum Smith controlled the ball on the edge of the box and volleyed home into the far corner giving the Dunbar keeper no chance.

Lots of changes after the restart with both sides utilising their squad and ensuring their players got some much needed game time,  and it was the home side who regained the lead in the 54th minute after an Andy Jones cross fell for their Trialist who made half a yard for himself before firing a low shot into the corner of the net despite the attention of three Berwick defenders.

Ciaran Heeps might have done better for the visitors with a shot which Laing saved well but the Berwick pressure eventually paid dividends eleven minutes from time when Lewis Baker headed home from a corner at the near post and levelled the game for the second time at 2-2.

Four minutes from time Dunbar were unlucky not to regain the lead after Johnny Edmond’s header from a free kick rebounded from the post with the Berwick defence static and the home side threatened again with Jones firing a free kick over the bar and Darren Smith firing wide after being played in by Grant Thomson before the referee blew for full time.

A good hard competitive run out for both sides with a draw probably a fair result, but valuable game time gained for all the players with hard League games starting this weekend when Newtongrange Star are the visitors to New Countess Park with kick off at 2.30 pm. Tickets for the game are on sale via the club’s Fanbase app:

Dunbar United :- Daniel Laing, Grant Thomson, Scott Hay, Dean Whitson, Bob Berry, Kieran Ingram, Darren Smith, Nicky Weir, Jamie Devlin, Darren Handling, Trialist.

Substitutes :- Ryan Mack, Michael McFarlane, Fraser Neave, Andy Jones, Ben Bathgate, Johnny Edmond.

Berwick Rangers :- Ali Adams, Jack Cook, Jamie Pyper, Thomas Scobbie, David Ferguson, Aiden Denholm, Grant Nelson, Graham Taylor, Alex Harris, Sean Stewart, Calum Smith.

Substitutes :- Andy McNeil, Ben Swinton, John Ward, Ciaran Heeps, Scott Taylor McKenzie, Lewis Barr, Lewis Baker.

Referee :- Boise Allan

Match report courtesy of Laurie Wood.