Match date: 24th July 2021 Kickoff: 14:30

With both teams winning their first two League games, the stage was set for a top of the table clash at New Countess Park, Dunbar, with the visitors Camelon naming a completely new side from last Season. Dunbar United were forced into some changes due to niggling injuries and unavailability, with loan signing Dean Whitson making his debut in defence.

Camelon pushed forward from the kick off and looked dangerous on the break with Lewis McCarthur trying a long range shot which Laing in the Dunbar goal saved well. However the first real chance fell to Dunbar when a Darren Handling corner was narrowly missed by Scott Hay at the back post and with Dunbar probing for an opening, they were punished in the 12th minute with a lightning fast counter attack with Euan Baird and Mitchell Taylor inter passing on the left, the full length of the field leaving Taylor to fire a low shot into the net and send the visitors into an early lead.

Dunbar were then forced into a reshuffle after Scott Hay limped off and was replaced by Fraser Neave who moved into the midfield with Kieran Ingram moving to centre half. Euan Baird then had two shots blocked as Camelon looked to increase their lead, but again Dunbar went close from a corner with Jamie Devlin heading wide and only a great save from Jacob Welna in the Camelon goal denied Andy Jones a goal in the 37th minute when the keeper saved with his body.

Camelon started the second half on the offensive and were playing some neat football and denying Dunbar a lot of the ball with some determined closing down in midfield but were at their most dangerous on the counter attack using the speed of Taylor and Baird to their advantage.

Dunbar made a double substitution in the 57th minute with Johnny Edmond and Ben Bathgate replacing Nicky Weir and Andy Jones and they began to create more chances which the Camelon defence handled well.

A Dunbar free kick was held well by the visiting keeper in the 70th minute and his clearance saw the speedy Mitchell Taylor cut the ball back for Jackson Cowan only to see his shot blocked by a Dunbar defender. Four minutes later and a great through ball from Dean Whitson sent Johnny Edmond clear on the left and his cross was met beautifully by Ben Bathgate with an overhead scissor kick which was cleared of the line by a Camelon defender with the goalkeeper beaten.

With Dunbar pushing hard for an equaliser a poor clearance from the Dunbar keeper almost gifted the visitors a second goal but the keeper redeemed himself with a fine save from Taylor’s shot.

Deep into injury time the game ended in controversial fashion when Darren Handling was impeded inside the box whilst jumping to head the ball and Dunbar’s appeals for a penalty kick were waved aside by the referee with Handling left dazed on the ground. Fine margins with lady luck not shining on the hosts with this decision.

Not a lot between the sides but it was Camelon who continued their unbeaten run with a narrow victory and Dunbar will be disappointed with the result and have only a few days to rectify things when they visit Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale on Wednesday night in Edinburgh with kick off at 7.30pm.

Dunbar United :- Daniel Laing, Kieran Ingram, Grant Thomson, Jamie Devlin, Bob Berry, Darren Handling, Andy Jones, Scott Hay, Nicky Weir, Evan Fleming, Dean Whitson.

Substitutes :- Keith Tait, Ben Bathgate, John Johnstone, Johnny Edmond, Michael Fairnie, Fraser Neave.

Camelon :- Jacob Welna, Gary Mochrie, Lewis McCarthur, Reece Boyle, Mitchell Taylor, Mitchell MacDonald, Sean Stewart, Jackson Cowan, Aidan Stevenson, Euan Baird, Michael Gould.

Substitutes :- Kyle Mowat, Cole Cattanach, Finlay Mackay, Ryan Duffy, Jamie Canavan, Cameron Hamilton.

Referee :- Brent Falconer.

Asst Referees :- Conner Pratt, Steven Adair

Match report courtesy of Laurie Wood
Photos by Gordon Maitland