Match date: 29th of October Kickoff: 14.30 pm

Dunbar United      1     Dunipace FC       0

After the disappointment of last week’s Scottish Cup defeat against University of Stirling it was back to league business for Dunbar United and it couldn’t have been much tougher than a visit from Dunipace who like Dunbar had only lost one League match all Season and were still on a high after brushing aside Turriff United in the Scottish Cup and looking forward to a Third Round tie away to Cove Rangers.

Dunbar began well with Ben Bathgate teeing up Jonny Grotlin, but his weak shot was easily saved by the visiting keeper. Dunipace were dangerous on the break and David Grant shot inches wide from the narrowest of angles. Grotlin again went close in the twelfth minute when he dropped his shoulder and curled a fierce shot just over the bar.

The hosts missed a golden opportunity in the next attack after Kerr Allan’s shot from a corner kick was deflected into the path of Michael McFarlane who controlled the ball and saw his shot saved by the keeper when a first time flick over the keeper was the better option.

Ben Bathgate almost got on the end of another McFarlane cross but was brought down inside the box with the referee waving away any Dunbar protests for a penalty.

Sam Colley had a shot cleared for a corner by Grant Thomson as Dunipace tried to get into the game but it was Dunbar who went close again five minutes from the break after Ben Bathgate found Darren Handling in the clear with a great cross from the right but once again the Dunipace keeper denied the Dunbar midfielder this time saving with his feet.

Jonny Grotlin then went close from a Kerr Allan free kick before David Grant went close for the visitors with Grant Thomson clearing the danger for Dunbar right on the half time whistle.

Dunbar were forced into a reshuffle early after the restart when Kerr Allan picked up an injury and was replaced by Cammy Dawson. David Grant again went close for the visitors before Michael McFarlane headed inches wide for Dunbar from Bob Berry’s looping cross and Jonny Grotlin had a scissors kick from the edge of the box saved by the Dunipace keeper.

Dunipace began to insert some pressure as both sides looked for the breakthrough and Joseph McGuckin had a shot deflected for a corner before Dunbar’s Ben Bathgate found himself in the clear with only the keeper to beat but again Dunbar were denied by the young Dunipace keeper.

McGuckin and Sam Colley both had shots saved by Sean Brennan in the Dunbar goal before the referee had to book three of the Dunipace players after some meaty tackles crept into their play.

From one of the free kicks Dunbar took the lead in the 79th minute when Fraser Neave’s high free kick was ironically dropped by the Dunipace keeper and Michael McFarlane drilled home from close range high into the net to give Dunbar a deserved lead.

Both sides rang the changes after the goal and Dunbar were unlucky not to have increased their lead after Dean Whitson saw his header from a corner kick rebound from the base of the post.

Dunipace threw everything at Dunbar looking for an equaliser with Colley going close after great work by David Grant but the Dunbar defence was well organised and denied the visitors any leeway before the final whistle sounded with Dunbar picking up another valuable three points in their quest for promotion.

Another hard working display from Dunbar who were always in control and after a third of the league games completed they lead the table by three clear points but still a long way to go before the season ends.

Next weekend brings another top of the table clash with Dunbar travelling to Glenrothes where the hosts will be looking for all three points following their 6-0 win away at Coldstream and kick-off is at the earlier time of 2.00pm.

Dunbar United :- Sean Brennan, Michael McFarlane, Kerr Allan, Grant Thomson, Jonny Grotlin, Bob Berry, Darren Handling, Ben Bathgate, Fraser Neave, Willis Hare, Dean Whitson.

Substitutes :- Shea Dowie, James Redpath, Cammy Dawson, Johnny Edmond, Gregor Goldie, Aaron Congalton.

Dunipace FC :-  Alex Gilchrist, Liam McCrory, David Morrison, Danny Ashe, Tristan McArthur, Marty Wright, Morgan Galloway, Sam Colley, David Grant, Joseph McGuckin, Jordan Herron.

Substitutes :- Aaron Whitelaw, Caleb McNeil, Ryan Fleming, Paul Nash, Kier Stevenson.

Referee :- Iain Gallagher.

Match report courtesy of Laurie Wood.

Photos by Gordon Maitland.

Mon the Seasiders!