Match date: 10th of December Kickoff: 14.30 pm

Dunbar United  4   Leith Athletic FC  1

New Countess Park, Dunbar was one of only four pitches to survive the recent cold weather in the whole of East of Scotland League football on Saturday when Leith Athletic were the visitors. Another difficult match was anticipated with the Leith team somewhat of a bogey team to Dunbar having won three out of their last four visits to the ground.

Dunbar United made one change from last weeks starting eleven with a home debut in midfield for recent signing Josh Walker who replaced the unwell Fraser Neave.

With a large crowd inside the ground Dunbar started the game on the front foot and they took the lead in the fourth minute after Darren Handling found Cammy Dawson in space and the big striker unleashed a shot from fully thirty five yards which struck the underside of the bar before nestling in the net.

Seven minutes later and Dawson again caused havoc in the goalmouth after a great cross from Bob Berry but when the ball fell to Aaron Congalton on the edge of the box his shot drifted wide.

Ben Bathgate then went on another mazy run on the right before squaring for Darren Handling but his shot was blocked on the edge of the box. Dunbar were totally dominant and Bob Berry might have done better when in the clear but he elected to pass rather than shoot himself.

Dunbar scored again in the 26th minute when a teasing cross from Aaron Congalton bounced off the Leith keeper under pressure and Cammy Dawson was first to react and fire home his own second goal of the game and his ninth goal of the season.

Three minutes later and Ben Bathgate almost scored a wonder goal after picking the ball up in his own half he drove forward and tried to lob the Leith keeper from just over the halfway line but the visiting keeper back tracked and just managed to turn his effort over the bar.

Ten minutes from the break things got even better for Dunbar when Cammy Dawson pressurised Leith’s Craig Hume into a mistake on the half way line and Ben Bathgate drove forward holding off a defender before firing a low shot under the advancing keeper to give Dunbar a well deserved three goal lead.

Three minutes later and they scored again after some lovely swift passing on the right saw Michael McFarlane in the clear and his drilled cross was turned into his own goal by a Leith defender and gave Dunbar a four goal advantage at the interval.

Cammy Dawson was unlucky not to score his hat trick two minutes after the restart when his header rebounded from the post with the Leith keeper beaten and minutes later Bob Berry shot just wide as Dunbar continued to press.

Leith changed their shape and began to come more into the game with Kayne Paterson forcing Sean Brennan into a save in the 54th minute before Dunbar substitute Jonny Grotlin almost scored in his first attack with Cammy Dawson firing the corner over the bar.

Leith pulled a goal back on the hour mark after a bit of ping pong in the Dunbar box saw Dean Whitson turn the ball into his own net and give the visitors a lifeline.

The goal seemed to lift the visitors and Kayne Paterson again forced Sean Brennan into another two great saves before Dunbar’s Ben Bathgate sent in a low cross from the right which Jonny Grotlin just failed to reach.

Both sides rang the changes and with ten minutes left young Gregor Goldie raced clear only to be thwarted by the Leith keeper. Five minutes later and again Goldie ran clear from inside his own half but was crudely upended by Leith’s Lewis Smith as he raced towards goal earning the Leith player a yellow card when it might easily have been red.

Deep into injury time Grant Thomson earned a corner with Shaun Miller firing the loose ball over the bar before the referee brought the game to a halt with Dunbar fully deserving to pick up all three points and maintain their League leaders status.

A tremendous first half performance left the visitors with a mountain to climb with every Dunbar player playing their part,  but a special mention for new signing Josh Walker who used his experience well in midfield and constantly encouraged his team mates throughout the game.

Next weekend Dunbar travel to play Kirkcaldy and Dysart at The Alex Penman Park, Kirkcaldy with an earlier kick off time at 1.30pm. With the home side sitting in fourth position in the League six points behind Dunbar again it promises for one not to be missed.

Dunbar United :- Sean Brennan, James Redpath, Michael McFarlane, Grant Thomson, Bob Berry, Cammy Dawson, Darren Handling, Ben Bathgate, Josh Walker, Aaron Congalton, Dean Whitson.

Substitutes :- Shea Dowie, Kerr Allan, Jonny Grotlin, Johnny Edmond, Fraser Neave, Willis Hare, Gregor Goldie.

Leith Athletic FC :- Jamie Smith, Matthew Johnston, Craig Hume, Lewis Smith, Ciaran McKenzie, Stephen Scott, Cameron Stewart, Ewan Farmer, Dillon Greatorex, Kayne Paterson, Sonny Swanson.

Substitutes :- Ben McGinley, Calum Helm, James Scobie, Dean Burgess, John Robertson, Trialist , Fraser Williams.

Referee :- Boise Allan.

Match report courtesy of Laurie Wood.

Photos by Gordon Maitland.

Attendance :- 260

Mon the Seasiders!