Match date: 4th December 2021 Kickoff: 2.30 pm

Dunbar United  2   Linlithgow Rose   1  

(Match Abandoned after 36 mins – Heavy snow)

After last weekend’s narrow defeat to League leaders Penicuik Athletic,  Dunbar United had another difficult League match to overcome with a visit from third placed Linlithgow Rose who were on an unbeaten 13 game run since Gordon Herd was appointed Manager earlier in the Season.

With light rain falling prior to kick off,  the visitors showed their intent right from the off when Alan Docherty capitalised on a Dunbar defender’s slip inside the box but his shot went inches wide.

However it was Dunbar who broke the deadlock in the sixth minute after some great play from Darren Smith on the right saw the ball played inside to Andy Jones on the edge of the box,  and the striker made half a yard for himself before unleashing a tremendous right footed shot high into the corner of the net.

Linlithgow should have equalised two minutes later but was stopped by a phenomenal double save from Daniel Laing in the Dunbar goal firstly reacting to a deflected shot and then blocking the rebound in quick succession.

The equaliser came in the visitors next attack when Alan Docherty picked up the ball wide left and cut inside, then beating three defenders before his shot struck a Dunbar defender and left the keeper wrong footed.

The persistent rain quickly turned to snow and conditions were difficult for both sides,  but play raged from end to end with Mark Stowe forcing Laing into another good save at his near post before Bob Berry headed a great chance wide of the target following a Dunbar corner.

With the snow beginning to lay on the surface of the pitch,  the visitors forced Dunbar to defend in depth, and on the half hour mark Linlithgow’s Alan Sneddon surging run from midfield ended with Laing parrying the ball away to safety.

Dunbar were giving little away and some patient build up play two minutes later saw Jamie Devlin time his run to perfection and connect with a delicate chip over the Linlithgow defence before firing the ball past Dean Shaw in the visitors goal.

With conditions worsening by the minute,  the referee went over to both Managers after the Dunbar goal,  before restarting play,  but eventually abandoned the game four minutes later with weather conditions not improving which was probably the right decision at the time.

A much improved performance from Dunbar who looked as if they might have picked up something from the game,  but once again lady luck deserted them at the crucial time and with teams below them gaining vital League points,  the next two games are hugely important for the club beginning with a visit to Camelon next weekend with kick off at 2.30pm.

Dunbar United :- Daniel Laing, Grant Thomson, Michael McFarlane, Dean Whitson, Evan Fleming, Darren Smith, Bob Berry, Fraser Neave, Jamie Devlin, Andy Jones, Darren Handling. 

Substitutes :- Ryan Mack, Kieran Ingram, Fraser McLaren, Johnny Edmond, Nicky Weir, Dan Purves.

Linlithgow Rose :- Dean Shaw, Willis Hare, Cammy Thomson, Dan Baur, Gary Thom, Jamie Allan, Mark Stowe, Alan Docherty, Jack Ogilvie, Coner McMullan, Alan Sneddon.

Substitutes :- Luke Watt, Martin Lawrie, Greg McGregor, Lewis McMinn, Thomas Halleren.

Referee :- Kevin Lindsay.

Asst Referees :- Michael Dixon, Conner Pratt.

Match report courtesy of Laurie Wood.

Photos by Gordon Maitland.