Match date: 7th of January 2023 Kickoff: 14.30 pm

Dunipace FC  0    Dunbar United  2

Dunbar United travelled to Westfield Park, Dunipace on Saturday for the first time since they defeated the home side in a Scottish Junior Cup first round match in September 2017. During that time Dunipace have been busy installing an artificial playing surface and added many other features to their neat new ground. 

The home side who were playing the top two teams in the League on successive Saturdays were looking to pick up some points if they were to continue their hopes for promotion. The Dunbar management stuck to the same side that defeated Preston Athletic at home on 30th December giving them a seven point lead at the top of the First Division.

Quite a healthy crowd turned out to watch the action on a chilly afternoon and it was the visitors who created the first chance in the second minute with Cammy Dawson heading Bob Berry’s cross inches over the crossbar.

Bob Berry volleyed over the bar before Kerr Allan tried a cheeky shot from inside his own half which the Dunipace keeper did well to get back on his line and save as Dunbar looked the more dangerous side. James Redpath’s cross from a free kick was just missed by Cammy Dawson before the same player was unlucky to see another shot blocked after a great cross from Bob Berry.

Dunipace weathered the early Dunbar attacks and they almost took the lead in the 23rd minute when a goal bound shot was deflected for a corner. Minutes later Marty Wright blasted one over the bar after great work from David Grant before Dunbar’s keeper Shea Dowie did well to save at the feet of David Morrison as he drove forward into the box.

The breakthrough came in the 29th minute after a great run from Darren Handling saw his cross from the left headed in at the back post by Bob Berry to give Dunbar a well deserved one goal lead.

Five minutes later and the visitors should have increased their lead when Kerr Allan’s corner was headed down and over the bar by the unmarked Dean Whitson when it looked easier to score.

Dunipace went close on two occasions as they tried hard to get back into the game but again Shea Dowie brought of two brilliant saves to keep the visitors lead intact before Fraser Neave fired a sweet left foot shot from thirty yards goalwards which the home custodier somehow turned round for a corner before the half time whistle sounded.

Cammy Dawson had a header saved in the first minute after the restart before David Grant had a shot cleared off the Dunbar line as the game flowed from end to end. The Dunbar defence were giving little away at the back as Dunipace pushed for an equaliser and in the 67th minute the Dunbar management freshened things up with a triple substitution Aaron Congalton, Liam Gregory and Gregor Goldie replacing Shaun Miller, Kerr Allan and Fraser Neave.

It almost paid dividends in the next minute when Gregor Goldie forced the Dunipace keeper into another fine save before Liam Gregory clinched all three points nine minutes later when he cut in from the right wing, sold two dummies before wrong footing the keeper and firing low into the net.

Dunipace pushed on to the finish and deep into injury time Shea Dowie produced an incredible save from a point blank shot to preserve the second Dunbar clean sheet in as many matches.

A well deserved win for Dunbar who maintain their seven point lead at the top of the League, but they must ensure that no complacency creeps in with their next game at home to bottom side Kennoway Star Hearts next Saturday with kick off at 2.30pm. Tickets for the match are on sale via the club’s Fanbase app.

Dunipace FC :- David Kane, Liam McCroary, Ryan Kane, Andy Grant, Tristan McArthur, David Morrison, Sam Colley, Jordan Heron, Marty Wright, David Grant, Joe McGuckin.

Substitutes :- Kier Stevenson, Aaron Whitelaw, Ryan Fleming, Caleb McNeill, William Greenhorn, Trialist, Alex Gilchrist.

Dunbar United :- Shea Dowie, James Redpath, Michael McFarlane, Kerr Allan, Grant Thomson, Dean Whitson, Bob Berry, Cammy Dawson, Darren Handling, Fraser Neave, Shaun Miller.

Substitutes :- Sean Brennan, Jonny Grotlin, Liam Gregory, Willis Hare, Gregor Goldie, Aaron Congalton.

Referee :- Jordan Kelly.

Match report courtesy of Laurie Wood.

Photos by Dave Black.

Mon the Seasiders!