Match date: 5th of November Kickoff: 14.00 pm

Glenrothes FC  3     Dunbar United     2

Table topping Dunbar United travelled to the Warout Stadium, Glenrothes on Saturday with a much depleted squad through injury and illness and five of the current Under 20’s squad were named on the bench.

Glenrothes were sitting in third place prior to the match and only three points behind Dunbar and were looking to build on their 6-0 victory away at Coldstream last weekend. Heavy rain throughout the week and prior to kick off made the playing surface very heavy and soft with underfoot conditions not easy for both sets of players.

Dunbar started well and went close in the opening minutes when Bob Berry’s cross was deflected wide of the well placed Jonny Grotlin. Stuart Cargill fired one over the bar for the hosts after good work from Reece Brown as both sides struggled on the heavy surface.

Dunbar looked dangerous on the break and almost went ahead after Jonny Grotlin had a shot saved on the line following Cammy Dawson’s header, and then the same player was left one on one with the Glenrothes keeper but was denied by the keeper’s legs.

Glenrothes then had a great chance after Reece Brown was played in on goal, but this time Sean Brennan in the Dunbar goal saved well before another marauding run forward from the Glens Kyle Bell was stopped by James Redpath.

A great move involving Jonny Grotlin and Fraser Neave in the 21st minute saw Neave’s shot rebound from the keeper, then Michael McFarlane’s goalbound shot was blocked by a defender as Dunbar threatened, then one minute later McFarlane’s cross was headed goalwards by Grotlin with the home keeper again saving on the goal line with his legs.

Twelve minutes before the break another Dunbar move between Grotlin and Darren Handling left Ben Bathgate in the clear but his shot from a narrow angle went inches over the bar.

Glenrothes had two corners both headed wide in quick succession as they looked for the breakthrough but again the best chance fell to the visitors in the 37th minute following a corner when they had four shots somehow cleared of the Glenrothes goal line in quick succession before the ball was cleared to safety.

When the half time whistle sounded Dunbar must have wondered just how they had not capitalised on any of their first half chances and really the game could easily have been out of sight.

Glenrothes started well after the restart and the ever dangerous Stuart Cargill was creating problems flicking an early cross wide then forcing Sean Brennan into another fine save before they took the lead in the 53rd minute when a cross cum shot from Dylan Honeyman from the left deceived everyone and looped over Sean Brennan into the net.

Dunbar replied with shots from James Redpath and Darren Handling which the home keeper saved well before Cargill again broke clear and fired low across the Dunbar goal. Both sides then made the changes with Fraser Neave and Cammy Dawson being replaced in the Dunbar side by Aaron Congalton and Gregor Goldie.

Fifteen minutes from time Glenrothes scored again after a pass back from Michael McFarlane slowed on the heavy surface and the ever alert Stuart Cargill intercepted it and fired low under the Dunbar keeper for a real individual effort.

With Glenrothes now full of confidence they scored a third goal in the 84th minute when Cargill broke clear from Willis Hare and his low cross was turned into the net by Lea Schiavone from close range. Daniel Hall then replaced Ben Bathgate in the Dunbar side for the closing minutes before Willis Hare had a goal saving tackle after Cargill played in another team mate from what looked like an offside position.

Dunbar were thrown a lifeline two minutes from the end when Michael McFarlane’s cross from the right was brilliantly headed into the net by young Gregor Goldie for his second goal in Dunbar’s first team colours.

Three minutes later, Dunbar scored again when James Redpath’s corner was again headed home in a crowded goalmouth by Gregor Goldie to make the score 3-2.

Another four minutes of added time was played with Dunbar pushing hard for the equaliser, but the streetwise home players saw out the remaining time and picked up all three points which lifted them up into the  joint leaders position on the League table with Dunbar slipping down into third place.

Dunbar will be rueing their missed first half chances on a pitch not suited to good football but credit for pulling back their two late goals and putting more credibility on the score line in a League where every team is capable of beating each other. Another vital game at New Countess Park next weekend when sixth placed Kinnoull from Perth are the visitors with kick-off again at 2.30 pm.  Tickets are on sale now via the club’s Fanbase app:

Glenrothes FC : Adam Shaw, Lewis Grierson, Craig Wallace, Charlie Denton,  Blair Smart, Reece Brown, Dylan Honeyman, Kyle Bell, Stuart Cargill, Fionn McLeod Kay, Graeme Walker.

Substitutes :- Andrew McCallion, Callum Kinnes, Cammy Lumsden, Charlie Miller, Cooper Thomson, Lea Schiavone, Ryan McInnes.

Dunbar United :- Sean Brennan, James Redpath, Michael McFarlane, Jonny Grotlin, Bob Berry, Cammy Dawson, Darren Handling, Ben Bathgate, Fraser Neave, Willis Hare, Dean Whitson.

Substitutes :- Shea Dowie, Ruaridh Munro, Alistair Zochowski, Daniel Hall, Jack Clark, Gregor Goldie, Aaron Congalton.

Referee :- Tayler Martin.

Match report courtesy of Laurie Wood.

Photos by Dave Black and Gordon Maitland.

Unlucky Seasiders!