Match date: 5th February 2022 Kickoff: 13.00pm

Leith Athletic FC       3          Dunbar United      5

With no game scheduled for Dunbar United,  this weekend a Friendly match was arranged against the second placed side in EoSFL Conference A, Leith Athletic at Peffermill, Edinburgh on their artificial surface.

On a bitterly cold afternoon,  the howling gale and driving rain blowing right across the pitch made conditions less than ideal for both spectators and players alike,  but it was the visitors who started the brightest with Kieran Ingram sending a screamer just wide of the goal.

Jamie Devlin had two efforts saved by the Leith keeper,  before Bob Berry had a shot deflected for a corner which was cleared only as far as Kieran Ingram but again his shot went inches wide. Minutes later Evan Fleming’s cross from the left was again met well by Kieran Ingram but again he fired his shot over the bar.

Dunbar were playing some neat attacking football and creating all sorts of problems for the Leith defence,  but a lapse in concentration allowed Leith’s Kayne Paterson a clear run on goal but his effort was saved well by Ryan Mack the Dunbar keeper.

The deadlock was broken in the 23rd minute when Johnny Edmond found Jamie Devlin in space about 30 yards out and the striker blasted the ball high into the net, catching the home keeper flat footed,  but sending Dunbar into a deserved lead.

Two minutes later and a high ball over the top was misjudged by the Leith defence and Jamie Devlin controlled the ball before drawing the keeper and coolly slotting home into the bottom corner for his own and Dunbar’s second goal of the game.

A quick turn around at half time because of the conditions,  but again Dunbar started well with Fraser Neave playing in Johnny Edmond who forced an early save from the Leith keeper before both sides rang the changes on the hour mark with all four Dunbar substitutes getting valuable game time, including a Dunbar United debut for young Dunbar United Colts goalkeeper Declan Hannan.

Two minutes later and Dunbar increased their lead to three when an Andy Jones cross was headed on by Johnny Edmond into the path of Darren Handling who drilled the ball low into the bottom corner giving the keeper no chance.

Three minutes later and they scored a fourth after some great play on the left between Bob Berry and Evan Fleming saw the latter’s cross flicked home by Johnny Edmond at the near post.

Leith pulled a goal back four minutes later despite a great save by Hannan from a Kayne Paterson effort but the ball was quickly returned into the danger area and Ben Wardlaw was on hand to prod home from close range.

Dunbar restored their four goal advantage in the 75th minute when Andy Jones controlled a long through ball and unselfishly squared for Johnny Edmond to stab home for his second goal of the game and make the score 5-1 to Dunbar.

Seven minutes from time Leith scored again after a neat one two in a crowded Dunbar penalty box allowed Ewan Howie to slot home for Leith’s second goal of the game.

Leith were lifted by their late revival and scored again four minutes from time when Kayne Paterson looked well offside but was allowed to run free with the whole of the Dunbar defence static and expecting the whistle to blow, but the striker played on and the goal was allowed to stand.

Another good run out for Dunbar and the win kept up a good unbeaten run stretching back to the end of November,  but no doubt this will be put to the test on Monday night when Scottish League Two side Edinburgh City play another Friendly at New Countess Park with kick-off at 7.30 pm. Tickets for the game are on sale via the club’s Fanbase app:

Dunbar United :- Ryan Mack, Grant Thomson, Evan Fleming, Michael McFarlane, Scott Hay, Nicky Weir, Kieran Ingram, Bob Berry, Fraser Neave, Johnny Edmond, Jamie Devlin.

Substitutes :- Declan Hannan, Darren Handling, Darren Smith, Andy Jones.

Referee :- Paul Hanlon

Match report courtesy of Laurie Wood.

Mon The Seasiders!