Match date: 24th September 2022 Kickoff: 2.30 pm

Dunbar travelled to Pennypit Park, Prestonpans on Saturday for their first competitive fixture against Preston Athletic since April 1994.

Kerr Allan started in defence for Dunbar after Dean Whitson was ruled out after picking up a niggling injury and a large crowd turned out to watch on a perfect day for football.

Dunbar started well with Robbie Stirling in the Preston goal saving well from Cammy Dawson’s feet in the opening minute and then easily saving a weak shot from Ben Bathgate.

Preston were lively from the off and not giving the visitors any time to settle on the ball and it was no surprise when they opened the scoring in the eighth minute after ex Dunbar player Ano Subasic’s driving run was stopped inside the box by Kerr Allan and the referee wasted no time in pointing to the spot. Mickey Hamilton stepped forward and sent Sean Brennan the wrong way from the resultant penalty.

James Redpath had a long range shot held by the Preston keeper before Kieran Jack wasted a great chance to increase the home lead after capitalising on hesitancy in the Dunbar defence.

Darren Handling curled a shot round the post as Dunbar tried to get a foothold in the game but the home side were well marshalled by their player Manager Paul Currie in midfield and almost increased their lead after Ano Subasic had a shot saved at the second attempt before Robbie Walker shot inches wide.

Darren Handling headed over a Bob Berry cross just before the break but the home side ended the half with a slender one goal lead. Both Kevin Haynes and Gary Small from the Dunbar management were booked as the sides left the park after questioning the referee about some of his decisions.

Michael McFarlane and Shaun Miller started the second half for Dunbar replacing James Redpath and Ben Bathgate,  but it was Preston who continued where they had left off unsettling the Dunbar play at every opportunity and they increased their lead in the 56th minute when Mickey Hamilton controlled a long ball on the right and completely unchallenged lobbed the Dunbar keeper from a narrow angle to make the score 2-0 for Preston.

Two minutes later and things got worse for the visitors when Kerr Allan was woefully short with a pass back leaving Kieran Jack the simplest of tasks to round the Dunbar keeper and roll the ball into the net to give the home side a well deserved three goal lead.

Michael McFarlane headed a Dunbar corner over the bar before Kerr Allan stopped another speedy Preston counter attack with a goal saving tackle on Mikey Hamilton and denied the Preston striker his hat trick.

Jordan Hopkinson fired a near post corner wide before deflecting a Darren Smith cross wide with his body to sum up Dunbar’s day before the final whistle sounded with Dunbar suffering their first League defeat of the season.

Credit to Preston Athletic who got their tactics spot on with their style of play not giving Dunbar time to settle on the ball with Paul Currie pulling the strings in midfield.

A bad day for Dunbar who failed to score for the first time this season after eighteen games but no time to dwell on this defeat with two really important games this week against Camelon away on Wednesday followed by a home game against the high-flying Luncarty at home on Saturday.

Preston Athletic :- Robbie Stirling, Kieran Jack, Ben Riley, Jordan Keenan, Jack McKinnon, Marc Forsyth, Robbie Walker, Paul Currie, Jamie Devlin, Mickey Hamilton, Ano Subasic.

Substitutes :- Byron Archibald, Jack Murray, Kristijonas Idas, Steven McCole, Cameron Laidlaw, Euan Donaldson.

Dunbar United :- Sean Brennan, James Redpath, Kerr Allan, Grant Thomson, Bob Berry, Cammy Dawson, Darren handling, Ben Bathgate, Willis hare, Aaron Congalton, Darren Smith. 

Substitutes :- Shea Dowie, Michael McFarlane, Liam Gregory, Jordan Hopkinson, Fraser Neave, Shaun Miller, Gregor Goldie.

Referee :- Steven Wilson.

Match report courtesy of Laurie Wood.

Photos by Gordon Maitland.